GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK:
On your first visit to Smoky Mountain National Park, be sure to stop in the Sugar Lands visitor center (Main entrance to the park) to watch the 20-minute movie (it's a beautiful beginning to understanding the Smokies), also nice gift shop. Then on to the park ...
– Trail behind Sugar lands visitor center (super easy, completely flat, ends with a
small waterfall, only about .5 mile round trip)
– Laurel Falls - 4-mile round trip hike, a great waterfall at the end SEE MORE
– Clingman's Dome (at the Top of the Smokies) on the Appalachian trail
– Appalachian Trail (Top of the Smokies - simple trail - go as far as you want)
– The Sinks Waterfalls - trail behind waterfalls
– Elkmont Camp Ground trails - along the river
– Grotto Falls
– Abrams Falls in Cades Cove
DRIVING in the National Park :
– Bring a Picnic lunch / Eat anywhere you stop or at a campground.
– Road to Cades Cove, can exit at Townsend road and return without going all the
way to Cades Cove, picnic somewhere along the route
– Cades Cove Loop (Slow but very beautiful, lots of scenic historic buildings to tour,
2 churches, 2 cemeteries, 8-10 homestead buildings along the loop)
– Road to Clingman's Dome / Appalachian Trail (Top of the Smokies) has great views
SPLASHING / throwing stones in the river :
– Anywhere on the river that has a low flow
– A favorite no-name spot (Google maps plus code = M8F4+QX Townsend, TN)
– Middle Prong Little River bend (Conjunction of Townsend turn-off & Little River Rd)
(Google Maps plus code = M76R+5H Townsend, Tennessee)
TUBING on a slow river :
– Smokey Mountain River Rat Tubing - just outside of Townsend - 205 Wears Valley
Road, Townsend - it is near the Middle Prong splashing area (Google Maps plus code
= M7J9+C3 Townsend, Tennessee)
HORSEBACK RIDING :
– Sugarland Riding Stables (near Sugarlands Visitor Center - entrance to Natl Park)
– Cades Cove Stables (in National Park at Cades Cove - very busy)
– Big Rock Stables at Ponderosa (on Mill Creek Road, just outside Pigeon Forge)
– Walden Creek Stables (on Walden Creek of Wears Valley Road)
– Next to Heaven Stables, (on Wears Valley Road – Guide free rides)
DINNER SHOWS :
– Dolly Parton's Dixieland Stampede - great horse show, good food too
– Hatfield and the McCoys - fun show, good food as well
– Lumberjack Feud - Good show, terrible food, located by the Smoky Mt Brewery
– Tanger Outlet shops (HUGE) in Pigeon Forge for shopping many name brands
– The Village - 27 QUAINT shops behind Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg.
– Old Mill Shops, great pottery shop with live potter, ice cream, cooking shops
ARTIST COLONY :
– Glades Road near Gatlinburg, many shops with various creations, head to Alewine
– The Island - State Fair styled area with lots of activities, shops, and restaurants,
a Ferris wheel, fun to walk around and sit to watch the dancing water display
sitting in rockers.
– Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster (Long wait, 2-minute ride, On Wears Valley Rd.
– Hill Billy Golf - Mini Golf on the side of a hill (Good one in Gatlinburg)
– Zip Lines - Smoky Mountain Zip Lines (on Mill Creek Road), extensive routes.
– Dollywood Amusement Park & Waterpark